Monday, October 28, 2013

Mini Vanilla Cupcakes with Bright Blue Buttercream!



I made these cute little guys for a coworker that is getting married in 2 weeks! He hadn’t eaten any lunch yet, so was very grateful for the sweet surprise! I didn’t know exactly what kind of cupcakes he liked, so I went with plain vanilla cake with buttercream frosting. I got the mini vanilla cupcake recipe from food.com. The below recipe makes 20-25 mini cupcakes (I didn’t need that many) so I halved this recipe:


• 2 cups flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 3/4 cup sugar (if you like your cupcakes very sweet, add a little more.)
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (optional)


Directions:
1. preheat oven to 375 degrees, line muffin cups with papers.
2. cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. beat in eggs one at a time.
3. add flour (mixed with baking powder and salt) alternating with milk beat well; stir in vanilla.
4. divide evenly among pans and bake for 18 minutes. let cool in pans


For the Buttercream Frosting, I used the recipe on the side of the Confectioner’s Sugar box:
1 box (3 ¾ cups) Domino Confectioner’s Sugar
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
3 to 4 tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Again, I didn’t need that much frosting so I halved the above recipe too. I spruced up the buttercream by using my Wilton Food Gel in blue. Since I halved the batch, I put a bit too much food gel! I was going for more of a sky/pale blue but instead got this bright blue color. They are still pretty cool! I finished the cupcakes off with some candy hearts and chocolate pearls from Michael’s. You guys like them? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment