Thursday, November 6, 2014

Homemade Italian Biscotti


2 sticks unsalted butter
2 Cups sugar
6 eggs
1 tsp of Anise OIL (not extract)
5 Cups flour (sift into a bowl along with baking powder)
6 tsp baking powder
Cream butter well, gradually adding sugar until fluffy!!

  1. Add: 1 egg at a time
  2. Add: anise oil
  3. Cream well, add flour and baking powder.
  4. Divide batter into 4 loaves -
  5. 1 loaf to a pan because loaf grows!!
  6. Rotate pans in oven midway through cooking process.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
  8. Let cool on wire rack, then slice cookie on an angle.
  9. I do not double bake my cookie, but you can if you prefer your cookie that way. 
My aunt made these for my husband and I when we went to visit, and oh my god are they good! She generously let us take the leftovers home, and I brought them to work for my coworkers. We all had one with our morning coffee and they were a big hit! One person said "you can tell that these are homemade, they taste like an authentic Italian cookie." And there you have it! I fully intend on making these now that I have the recipe.  They are plain enough to be a crowd pleaser, which is nice for holidays or a party.

To mix it up a bit, my aunt suggested using dried sour cherries and orange oil instead of anise. Oils might be tough to find - check places like Michael's or a mom and pop baking store. Or of course, check online and get it from a reputable retailer.

Hope you guys enjoyed, bring out your inner Italian baker and try making these!

No comments:

Post a Comment