2 sticks unsalted butter
2 Cups sugar
1 tsp of Anise OIL (not extract)
5 Cups flour (sift into a bowl along with baking powder)
6 tsp baking powder
Cream butter well, gradually adding sugar until fluffy!!
- Add: 1 egg at a time
- Add: anise oil
- Cream well, add flour and baking powder.
- Divide batter into 4 loaves -
- 1 loaf to a pan because loaf grows!!
- Rotate pans in oven midway through cooking process.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
- Let cool on wire rack, then slice cookie on an angle.
- I do not double bake my cookie, but you can if you prefer your cookie that way.
To mix it up a bit, my aunt suggested using dried sour cherries and orange oil instead of anise. Oils might be tough to find - check places like Michael's or a mom and pop baking store. Or of course, check online and get it from a reputable retailer.
Hope you guys enjoyed, bring out your inner Italian baker and try making these!