Friday, February 15, 2013

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Cupcakes! Awesome No Bake Recipe...





How awesome are these?! I got this fantastic recipe from the blog Baked from a Box (click here for the original recipe).The best way to describe these, is an upgraded Rice Krispie treat that’s softer in texture but still has that nice crunch. The recipe is a slight twist on how you would normally make Rice Krispie treats, only you are using a mini muffin pan vs. baking sheet, and you add some cake mix and vanilla. And icing, let’s not forget the icing. OK, here we go with the step by step!

Melt 3/4 stick of butter

Melt marshmallows (5oz) I used minis! 
Keep microwaving until they are totally melted

Stir in melted marshmallows, 3/4 cup of cake mix, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
I added my sprinkles later, it was difficult to blend. I'd suggest adding them here (1 TBS)


Almost done! Add 2 cups of Rice Krispies to your liquid mixture, combine gently with spatula
Then add the next cup. I would suggest folding the mixture into itself, kind of like making dough for bread


Ready for action! Spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray - you will thank yourself later.
The mixture is sticky to work with, so I used a combination of a spoon and my fingers to gently press them into the pan. Don't push too hard or they will get ruined!

Pop these in the fridge for 30min. Now on to the icing!


Buttercream Frosting 
 1 stick of butter - room temperature 
 2 cups confectioners’ sugar 
 2 tsp vanilla 
 1 tsp almond milk (I didn't have almond milk, regular milk works fine)

For frosting, cream margarine in stand mixer with paddle attachment, then slowly add in confectioners’ sugar until well combined. Mix in vanilla, almond milk and food coloring if desired. 



Time to take the cake batter krispie treats out of the pan!
Use a butter knife to pop them out.

Perfect bite sized treats!

All dressed up! Do you like the icing color? Funny story...
I tried my hardest to achieve a true red using Wilton's food gel. This is the closest I got to red
I used so much food gel, that my fiance's tongue turned pink. Hilarious yes, but I wouldn't recommend it...

Awesome! I topped my treats with edible glitter hearts from Michael's craft store
They make any dessert look cuter, and come in a variety of colors (I also have the gold hearts)

Hope you guys enjoyed this post! Happy baking!

2 comments:

  1. They look SO good & they're super cute! I need to make these <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Nora!!! they are soooo good!!

    ReplyDelete