2 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt 3/4 cup butter, softened (1.5 sticks)
1 cup baker's sugar
1 T water
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup white sugar (for rolling dough before baking)
Powdered sugar, for dusting tops of baked cookies
Parchment paper, for lining baking pan
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare large baking sheet with piece of parchment paper to fit.
- In mixing bowl sift dry ingredients: flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon, cloves & salt.
- Whisk dry ingreds well.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream butter & sugar.
- Beat in egg, then add water and molasses, combine till smooth.
- Gradually add dry flour mix into the wet mixture.
- Transfer dough into smaller metal bowl and place in freezer for about 25-35 minutes (*Consistency of dough is soft set, so chilling dough allows us to make perfect rounds for baking).
- Remove firmed dough from freezer and roll into about 1T size dough balls, in palms of hands.
- Roll to coat each dough ball on a shallow dish with remaining sugar.
- Place sugar covered dough balls on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 min, till browned.
- *Cookies will have slight crust on outside, but be soft inside!
- Immediately cool cookies on wire baking rack.
- Once cooled, dust tops of cookies with powdered sugar.
- Store left over cookies in air-tight container, but also stores well in fridge and freezer.
Here they are! So soft inside, crispy on the outside
I don't know how I lived before I had this. I used to use a hand mixer for all baking.
Thank you to whoever invented this amazing machine.