Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Keeping it in the Family - Collecting Mom's, Grandma's and other Family Recipes


My new project. I bought a nice 3 ring binder at Michael's Craft Store, and am committed to start collecting family recipes! It'll be no easy task i'm sure - I have a lot of good cooks in my family and so does my fiance.

The idea came to me when I looked at my refrigerator and saw about 10 handwritten index cards with various recipes on them (like the above!) There's something about handwritten notes that's special, and makes me think of the person who wrote them. Above is my grandmother's recipe for pistachio cake, and my mom's recipe for risotto. Going forward, when I visit family I will ask them to write down my favorite recipes of theirs and add it to my binder. My mom loves the idea, and said she wishes we had more recipes from her mother.

The challenging part, is that some people bake or cook and don't really measure things. They just know how to make it because they've done it hundreds of times. I might have to hover over them and document how they make certain things, I'm sure that won't be annoying or anything.

I also started adding things that I've baked, and things my fiance and I have cooked together. All hand written of course. And yes, my hand hurt after writing a few pages of recipes ha! Anyway, just wanted to share this story with you guys. Happy baking, hope everyone is having a good week!


No comments:

Post a Comment